We have reimagined coverage to bring you local perspectives on larger issues, along with facts, opinion and moments of joy
- Lenore Taylor: Our new rural network will expand Guardian Australia’s reach and tell stories that resonate
- Australia’s farmers set for record $70bn year – but labour shortages and Covid rules threaten harvest
- Agricultural sector could be net zero by 2040 if Australia boosts efforts, report suggests
- Sign up for Gabrielle Chan’s fortnightly rural network email newsletter
- Join the rural network group on Facebook to be part of the community
Fifteen years ago I took a job at our local newspaper in my southern New South Wales town of 2,000 people.
The eight-page paper had a circulation at that time of about 900 and one journalist. Me. Despite my experience in national and state political reporting, I had never worked for a small-town paper.